Give Now

We Are Here to Protect the Animals

Idaho Humane Society humane officers protect Ada County animals every day and at all hours from cruelty and neglect; we rescue hundreds of injured pets each year.

Enforcement Authority

Our humane officers are deputized by the Ada County Sheriff’s Department to enforce animal related laws.

Service Area

The Idaho Humane Society Animal Care and Control Division provides services in the cities of Boise, Kuna, Eagle, Meridian and the unincorporated parts of Ada County. The Animal Care and Control Division does not have the authority to provide services inside city limits of Garden City, Star or outside of Ada County. If you are outside our service area, please contact your local animal control officer, police department or sheriff’s office for animal-related issues.

What Does the Animal Care & Control Division Do?

Investigates, prevents and stops animal neglect and cruelty
Educates the public about animal welfare
Protects public health by removing deceased animals from public by-ways
Enforces animal-related laws by issuing citations if necessary
Protects the public from dangerous animals
Quarantines animals who have bitten
Rescues animals that are in danger, sick or injured
Mediates disputes neighbors have about animals
Assists other law enforcement agencies

Our Humane Officers Respond to Citizens’ Calls About:

Animal cruelty and neglect
Dogs at large
Barking dogs
Found or unwanted animals to be picked up
Aggressive animals
Deceased animals on public byways (where retrieval does not compromise officer safety)
Stray animals that are injured, sick or in danger
Animal attacks upon other animals or people
Animal bites to other animals or people
Animals in traffic
Loose livestock

How Do I Contact Animal Control?

The Idaho Humane Society Animal Care and Control Division is on duty from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. seven (7) days per week. To reach our dispatcher, call (208) 343-3166. Due to the volume of calls we receive, when you call be prepared to leave your message on the voice mail system with a telephone number where you can be reached. The dispatcher will call you back as quickly as possible. If you are requesting that a Humane Officer be dispatched to a location, you must provide a street address for the location.

For after-hours emergencies in Ada County Sheriff’s Dispatch Center at (208) 377-6790, and a Humane Officer may be dispatched to respond.

When Will an Animal Control Officer Respond to My Call?

Calls must be handled on a priority basis. How quickly an officer can respond to a specific call depends not only upon the priority of that call, but also on how many calls of a higher priority are occurring at that particular time. For example, calls involving an injured animal or immediate danger of injury or harm to a person (from an animal) are the highest priority. Conversely, calls regarding a barking dog might take a little longer to respond to. Your patience and support is appreciated.